Thursday 31 January 2013

The Lady of the Sorrows

Hello, fellow book-devourers!
The Lady of the Sorrows, book 2 in the Bitterbynde trilogy penned by Cecilia Dart-Thornton, took me a couple of days to read, but read it I did, and here's the verdict:

Complicated. I've read some of Dart-Thornton's other works,and this one rings true with the others. The plot is tricky, but foreshadows just enough to keep you proposing how it might work out. But be warned, if you intend to read any of her works, have a very good dictionary kept nearby at all times. Some of the passages, especially those used for setting up scenes, use lots of unfamiliar words. I liked it though. This wasn't one of those books I could just fly through, I had to stop and pick up something lighter at times. Never the less, I enjoyed it, and give it 3.5 stars.

Imrhien, a scarred mute with no past, has finally made it to White Down Rory and been treated by the carlin (wise-woman) there. With a face and a voice, she heads off to the capital, hoping to give news to the king about treasure, and also see Thorn, the handsome ranger she fell for. There are a lot of twists, most of which were pleasant surprises, but it rings true to life, where nothing can be predicted absolutely. For a heavier fantasy read, I'd definitely recommend this

Many witty ripostes,
Astarte

No comments:

Post a Comment